Saturday, October 01, 2005

A Humble Thank You Note


Posted by Picasa

Thank you for paving the way for me to be born free and live freely. For the gift of independence, that all of us take as a granted birth right.

Thank you for removing the burden of servitude from the shoulders of my forefathers.

Thank you for leading the biggest mass uprising in human history, for showing how a nation can stand up & defend itself against an imperialist superpower.

Thank you for making the Indians believe in themselves to achieve what was deemed impossible.

Thank you for the pride that makes my chest swell, at being branded as a citizen of India.

Thank you for the visions of society, economy & nation-building – that has inspired countries and generations for the past half century.

Thank you for giving us the courage to raise our voices against the corrupt & the unjust in our daily lives. And the belief that our voices can make a difference.

Thank you for the absolute gem called The Story of My Experiments With Truth.

Thank you for the eye-openers on religion, God & spirituality. For teaching us the virtue of loving our fellow human beings.

Thank you for leaving behind the Gandhian Legacy.

Contrary to what ignorant critics say (and leave one wondering about their credibility to do so), You are the greatest human being & leader of masses, to have walked this earth in flesh & blood.

On this day, I show you my gratitude and pay a heart-felt tribute to the father of our nation.

Update: While most of the blogsphere is hell bent upon tearing apart Gandhian Policy on this day, some of them even acting wise guy to denounce Gandhiji completely - Gawker's post makes me hopeful that there are still people around, who undestand the greatest leader of the masses.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nirav said...

Deba,
Agree with you on this. Though I have some differences of opinion with Gandhian policies, I have tremendous respect for the grand old man of India. The Story of My Experiments with Truth is one of my favourite books too. And I think its a shame that Gandhi never won the Nobel Peace Prize in spite of his achievements.

And before you interpret my first sentence incorrectly, I'd just clarify that my differences do not lie with Gandhi's policies but with a couple of his decisions. For instance, I think we may have achieved independance earlier had Gandhi not stopped the Non-Coop Movement post the Chauri-Chaura incident. At times, one may need to think from the head rather than the heart to achieve an objective. All said, I'll join you in the thank you note!

10:27 PM  
Blogger Deba said...

Nirav,

Thanks for the note. So now there are two persons, whose greatness we admire unequivocally :).

May be Gandhi did a mistake during Chauri-Chaura - but this is what we think in retrospect. Going ahead with the movement at that time, would have seriously compromised the belief which was the foundation of non-cooperation movement. Anyway, it was His (the capitalisation is deliberate) movement & consequently His call. All that matters is he succeeded in the end, where as so many others did not.

Anyway, great to see a fellow Gandhi admirer, amid all the Gandhi-bashers that inhabit the blog sphere.

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Sivam said...

Deba, i miss u'r blogs... are u on vacation ?...

12:39 AM  
Blogger Deba said...

Sivam,

I wish I was. Been keeping extremely busy, hence no time for mundane pleasures. I am surprised someone actually missed my blog..

Deba

5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home